Friday, January 22, 2010

Life Change

So, wow, something just happened that was not 100% unexpected, but when the reality of it hit me, I am still so surprised. It appears that my 15 year old niece (and possibly her 9 year old brother) will be coming to live with us, starting in June. They currently live with DH's parents, which is just not working out, especially for my niece, who I guess I will just refer to as S in the future. I suppose my nephew will be Z. Not sure how much anonymity that really provides, but I feel okay about it.

It is a bit of a sad story, one I rarely share with anyone. S and Z have the same parents, who were never married, and did not stay together long after Z was born in 2000. DH's parents are the adoptive parents of the children, as my SIL and her boyfriend had problems with caring for the children, and also had some problems with drugs. Sadly, my SIL passed away this past May from pneumonia and sepsis. She just wasn't taking good care of herself. It is unbearably sad. She was such a sweet person, no matter the flaws. She was DH's only sibling.

In the time since she passed, the kids have been having such a hard time. Even thought they didn't live with her, she was still their Mom. I know S is grieving in way I can barely comprehend. She's only 15, I can't imagine a worse time for a girl to lose a mother. The father, never really my favorite, has a new wife and baby. S doesn't seem to have an close relationship with him.

So, with S not getting on well with my inlaws, and no one else really able to care for her, it seems as if she will be coming to stay with us after the school year ends. We are all going to Hawaii together in June, and after the trip, she will fly back with us to Seattle. I am not sure about Z currently. He is doing ok with the inlaws, but I just know he is going to miss his big sis. Also, I know that when Z spends any time my DH, he just blossoms into the happiest kid. He needs a man in his life like my DH - someone to play with, hang out with, all of that guy stuff. I am going to make it clear to my inlaws that Z is welcome at anytime, and that we would love to have him as well.

This is probably a very rambling post. I am probably leaving out so much, but maybe that's for the best. It's a lot to take in, even though it was basically our idea for S to come up here and live with us! We have to get a bedroom ready, enroll her in school, find her a doctor (she has not been feeling well lately.)

Plus, we have our FET in a few weeks, of course. I can't imagine what our life may look like in a year. There could be five or six of us in this house! Me, DH, S, Z, and maybe one or two little babies?! We've got the room, I think. But, that's getting ahead of myself...

For now, I will focus on being the best Aunt I can be, get this place ready for a hurting teenager, and also prepare myself for the FET! Suppression check is tomorrow at 8 am!

I hope I can sleep tonight!

6 comments:

  1. I know you aren't looking for praise, you are just doing what you need to do to help the family, but good for you for being open to taking on the challenge.

    Hope todays check has good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about what your neice & nephew have been through. You are a wonderful person and already the Best Aunt to them.

    Best wishes to you for your FET. I hope your suppression check went well today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a huge change. What a wonderful Aunt you are for opening your home so willingly. I can imagine that you are just what those poor, sweet children need right now.

    Sending all the positive thoughts I can for a successful FET!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear about your SIL! It sounds like a great thing you are doing for her kids! Looking forward to hearing how your suppression check went.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, that IS a huge change in your life. I really think you are being so selfless and generous to take in your niece (and potentially your nephew). It will be hard, but maybe you two can be the parental figures they need to do well and have happy, fulfilled lives. Wishing you the best with this and also your suppression check!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that IS a huge life change. Are there "parenting a teen" classes in your area that you can take before she comes? How else can you prepare for her arrival?

    All this plus a FET? How very exciting!

    http://ambivalentwomb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete